Optical Design Engineer
Viking Technology is a global technology leader in the fields of RF, Optical, Microelectronics and Memory technologies. With over 25+ years of experience in Engineering, Design, Manufacturing and Test, Viking Technology has led some of the most leading-edge OEM solutions for the embedded/industrial, medical, telecommunications, and military/aerospace markets. Viking Technology is a division of Sanmina Corporation (NASDAQ: SANM), a fortune 500 company, with a globally recognized name in technology, engineering, and trusted partner in all of manufacturing.
The Optical Design Engineering team, as part of Sanmina’s global RF, Optical and Microelectronic Engineering group represents one of the key elements of total engineering service offering, by providing customer focused engineering solutions in the areas of Optical, RF and Microelectronic components and systems. We are looking for an experienced Optical Design Engineer to join the multidisciplinary development team to support the design and development of advanced optical components, modules and sub-systems to meet our customers’ needs. The position involves both leading and supporting projects from concept definition, detailed design, process and test development, prototyping and qualification phases, through to implementation into manufacturing.
NATURE OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work within a multidisciplinary development team to provide optical design and associated manufacturing solutions to meet customer specifications. Design activities include, but are not limited to:
- Telecommunications components/modules/subsystems (lasers, detectors, modulators, optical receivers, amplifiers, transceivers, etc).
- Sensing / lidar optical components/systems.
- Medical, biomedical, military etc optical components.
- Define design concepts and select key optical and microelectronic technologies that align with project requirements.
- Design optical components and interconnects with consideration for all design elements (packaging, integration, optical and RF/electrical, mechanical, thermal, assembly, test and reliability).
- Perform optical modeling, including free space and guided wave, and optical system performance simulations.
- Select and characterize active and passive optical components for high speed optoelectronic design.
- Define specifications/requirements for outsourced custom components and coordinate/interface with manufacturers/suppliers.
- Support optical assembly process development by defining process related design requirements, alignment and bonding strategies and algorithms for implementation on customized optical assembly processes and equipment.
- Support prototype builds and engineering product verification to ensure compliance to requirements.
- Support product transition into manufacturing and provide support needed to members of the production team.
- Generate product documentation including design specifications, custom part drawings, assembly drawings, engineering Bill of Materials, common feature drawings and process flows.
- Support new business development by interfacing with new customers to understand their requirements and defining proposals and quotations.
- Some travel may be required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Expertise in design of optical elements, modules and sub-systems.
- Experience in optical and microelectronic technologies, materials, components, assembly and test processes.
- Experience in end-to-end product development, with product manufacturing implementation considered an asset.
- Experience with latest optical design and modeling tools and techniques.
- Able to work well within a multidisciplinary product development team in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
Sanmina welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. In accordance with the guidelines established under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.