Field Technician / Rigger
Website SSi Canada
People, Ideas, Technology
Headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, and with a satellite teleport and network operations centre in Ottawa, SSi designs, builds, and operates telecommunications networks in Canada’s North and around the world. With over 30 years of operating experience, SSi is a leader in delivering advanced satellite, broadband, fixed and mobile wireless solutions to remote and outlying areas.
This is an exciting time to join our growing Field Operations department! When in the office, share your ideas with the team – we value input, fresh perspectives, and participation. When in the field, put your tower climbing and rigging expertise to the test by building, installing, upgrading, testing, and maintaining our sites and infrastructure.
We are looking for someone who enjoys adventure, is fueled by new technology, learns quickly, embraces challenges, and always strives to find the right solution for SSi. Does this sound like you? If so, this could be the opportunity you have been waiting for!
- Carrying out work in accordance with strict company Health & Safety procedures
- Climbing and working on communications towers for the purpose of installing, replacing, and repairing equipment
- Traveling for the routine maintenance and repair of our infrastructure
- Providing operational feedback to the manager on an ongoing basis
- Working alongside contractors, tradespeople, and our representatives at our sites
- Working in the office to document changes, tests and audits and for field preparation
You’re a Natural Fit, Because You:
- Make safety a priority;
- Have intermediate rigging experience;
- Have intermediate experience working on communication towers;
- Are physically capable of performing required tower climbing and rigger duties;
- Can work outdoors in all seasons of the year and aren’t bothered by adverse weather conditions;
- Are able and willing to travel off the beaten path as part of your work;
- Hold a valid driver’s license and have dependable transportation;
- Are proficient with hand tools, power tools, and safety equipment;
- Possess strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills;
- Are a positive, genuine team player – friendly, personable and helpful;
- Are able to work with minimal supervision – trustworthy, methodical and detailed;
- Demonstrate great initiative and excel in problem solving;
- Are able to understand and follow complex instructions;
- Can manage unexpected tasks and situations with ease;
- Are conscientious about deadlines and responsibilities;
- Always strive to get the job done.
If you can’t check off all the boxes but you’re hardworking, bright, (quirky is great too), and passionate about what you do, we want to hear from you! Convince us with your cover letter!
Why Join SSi?
SSi is a close-knit family of passionate and diverse people who excel at solving complex, real world problems. Our corporate culture and high quality of work-life balance are important to us. When you meet our people and see where we work, you’ll understand what we mean.
Our corporate focus is stated simply: “People. Ideas. Technology”. People who are enabled to do what they love and encouraged to think outside the box will deliver the best ideas. We know that real excitement begins at the end of the comfort zone. We use cutting edge technology as the fuel to drive our learning, to innovate and deliver something meaningful. We apply what we create to help make a difference in some of the most challenging regions of the world.
Besides fostering a great team and a positive work environment, we believe wholeheartedly in open communication, internally and with our customers and partners. We tell it like it is, good or bad. We celebrate our successes and take ownership of our mistakes. We love to see a great idea come to life, just as we enjoy the debates leading up to it.
If you want to enjoy coming to work every day, come work at SSi!