Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technicians
Website SSi Micro
People, Ideas, Technology
SSi is a leader in delivering advanced satellite, broadband and mobile solutions to remote and outlying areas around the world. In Canada, we deliver services throughout Nunavut and to select communities in the Northwest Territories.
SSi is looking for several eager and personable individuals to help round out our Network Operations support crew. Our team is composed of people who are passionate about their work and pride themselves in minimizing network downtime and providing the absolute best customer service support possible.
Reporting to the Manager of the Network Operations Center (NOC), you will monitor and provide basic fault and configuration management functions within the network on an after hours rotating schedule. You must be willing to expand your knowledge base and continue learning to become a solid, well-rounded “Net Ops” team member.
Previous experience monitoring networks, following prescribed procedures and quickly solving problems is expected. However, if you feel that you have an exceptional talent with networking equipment and software, but not the documented job history to back it up, we would still strongly encourage you to apply!
- Maintenance and upgrades on our networks and servers;
- Surveillance and response to problems for a wide variety of monitored devices and network components – such as those used to provide wireless Internet and mobile voice and data services as well as the transport facilities (terrestrial and satellite based) used to support them;
- UNIX server administration over several platforms (primarily FreeBSD and Linux);
- Scheduled and as required hardware and software maintenance and upgrades;
- Performance and reliability reporting and testing;
- Security reviews and implementation;
- Review all voice mail and email inquiries as they arrive, and respond to customers in a timely manner, or refer inquiries to the appropriate areas of support;
- Writing, developing, and organizing documentation for assigned procedures;
- Other duties that interest you!
You’re a Natural Fit, Because You Have:
- At least 2 Years Experience working in a 24/7 NOC;
- Top notch written and verbal communication skills;
- An ability to manage challenging customer service scenarios;
- Fault and configuration management skills in a mobile network environment (preferably GSM / LTE);
- Familiarity with ISUP (SS7) and MF signalling methods (telephony networks);
- Experience with various transport methods (eg. DS1, optical facilities);
- Good understanding of voice networking methodology;
- Some knowledge of RF coverage issues and steps possible to mitigate;
- Familiarity with various mobile network services, eg. SMS, MMS, voice, data / Internet and some of the more popular mobile applications;
- A familiarity with numerous OS’s (OSX, Windows, etc) and email clients (Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Mac Mail, etc);
- The ability to switch between tasks easily and continue workflow despite interruption;
- An ability to be methodical and detailed to ensure all steps are completed properly;
- A reputation for being reliable and trustworthy in your duties. You are a self-starter and are highly independent;
- Demonstrated great initiative and excel in problem solving;
- Managed unexpected tasks with ease;
- A passion to learn more and quickly;
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Why Join SSi?
SSi is a close-knit family of passionate and diverse people who excel at solving complex, real world problems. Our corporate culture and high quality of work-life balance are important to us. When you meet our people and see where we work, you’ll understand what we mean.
Our corporate focus is stated simply: “People. Ideas. Technology”. People who are enabled to do what they love and encouraged to think outside the box will deliver the best ideas. We know that real excitement begins at the end of the comfort zone. We use cutting edge technology as the fuel to drive our learning, to innovate and deliver something meaningful. We apply what we create to help make a difference in some of the most challenging regions of the world.
Besides fostering a great team and a positive work environment, we believe wholeheartedly in open communication, internally and with our customers and partners. We tell it like it is, good or bad. We celebrate our successes and take ownership of our mistakes. We love to see a great idea come to life, just as we enjoy the debates leading up to it.
If you want to enjoy coming to work every day, come work at SSi!
For more information on SSi, check us out!